Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who makes, sells, and repairs small firearms.
- ‘Today there are at least a dozen gunsmiths producing beautiful custom revolvers having the same combination of artistic and mechanical talents so necessary for everything to come together perfectly.’
- ‘It was not until the end of the colonial period that any sort of market existed to justify the regular importation of firearms by merchants, or their production by the few gunsmiths scattered through North America.’
- ‘My father is a gunsmith, and I was raised in a house with firearms.’
- ‘In 1999 I faxed that letter about sniping to some gunsmiths in London.’
- ‘The gunsmith also believes a ban on imitation firearms and air pistols would only have an impact on respectable sports fans and have no effect on criminals.’
- ‘These ranged from gunsmiths to locksmiths, farriers, nailmakers, hoop makers, and shipsmiths.’
- ‘The effect this is having on small gunsmiths who make their living on the repair and customizing of guns is incalculable.’
- ‘His grandfather was a gunsmith who stimulated his interest in firearms at an early age.’
- ‘Not only do we have the best firearms, we also have the best gunsmiths today.’
- ‘I talked to the government, firearms dealers and gunsmiths, and read page after page of the rules and regulations that govern firearms shipping in the United States.’
- ‘If the gunsmiths like a product, Reid puts it into his inventory.’
- ‘If the hammer falls, a trip to the gunsmith is in order and the repair bill is not likely to be small.’
- ‘If there is a shortage of iron per say, then a gunsmith might not be able to meet the demand for fire-arms.’
- ‘In addition to blasting gunk and feathers and other surprises out of firearms, gunsmiths routinely uncover hunters' hasty mistakes during major gun surgery.’
- ‘Private gunsmiths produced this pattern under contract to the British military in the 1750s.’
- ‘They were gunsmiths and they are expecting a busy time ahead.’
- ‘The FCA has negative implications for firearm owners, the tourism industry, the film industry, firearm dealers, gunsmiths, and the private security industry.’
- ‘If you look at the Government Model pistols sold by custom gunsmiths and some major manufacturers, you'll find that most of them come with a full length guide rod installed.’
- ‘Take gun-making: in the early part of the century, gunsmiths custom-made muskets to the specs of each buyer.’
- ‘The thieves gained entry to the gunsmiths by breaking into the New China Palace take-away next door and then smashing their way through the adjoining brick wall.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.