Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device on a gun that enables it to be aimed accurately.
- ‘The cameras are now used in gunsights for the SA80 rifle and the Challenger II tank.’
- ‘Everything from napalm components to green berets, from gunsights to whiskey, from radio relays to rocket warheads, were provisioned.’
- ‘With that he took out of his pouch a special key which he inserted into the gunsight of my Galil rifle.’
- ‘The other 50 squinted through gunsights and night goggles, seeing the night as black or green.’
- ‘He knew exactly how and where to aim his weapon, was an excellent judge of distance, and had long since taught himself to watch the front sight and squeeze the trigger when a living thing was in his gunsights.’
- ‘Another type of ‘light’ that sells to defensive shooters is the laser gunsight.’
- ‘His invention was accidentally created while trying to make a clear plastic for gunsights.’
- ‘I have a lower ball turret automatic computing gunsight from a B17 bomber in very good condition.’
- ‘But whether we avoid war for the moment or not, this military machine will keep fixing more targets around the globe in its gunsights.’
- ‘Letting him wander alone and unarmed into the gunsights of a Senate Committee would've been like feeding a newborn kitten to sharks.’
- ‘The gunner virtually always sees the target directly through the gunsight or other sighting devices.’
- ‘They know they are in globalization's gunsights.’
- ‘It is, without a doubt, the sexiest of all optical gunsights.’
- ‘This prejudice trickles all the way down to the bottom feeders, like the two plump southerners selling the kind of gunsights that project red dots onto chests or foreheads of intended victims.’
- ‘And in service to that agenda, they've even got cartoon characters in their gunsights.’
- ‘It was boresighted with the main gun and gunsights so that it could be used to illuminate a target at night.’
- ‘Hawkins is an inventor who has perfected a highly accurate gunsight for machine guns.’
- ‘When you're focused on what you're doing, it's hard to get beyond the jumping gunsights to see the forest for the trees.’
- ‘It has been postulated that the body's natural dump of adrenaline in a crisis state would prevent shooters from seeing the gunsights.’
- ‘Racism, although it was a daily annoyance, was far less important to us than the fact that a well-trained enemy had the unit in his gunsights.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.