Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A heavily armed helicopter.‘gunships were pounding the capital for the third night running’‘a helicopter gunship’
- ‘Just beyond the camp is a large airfield where dozens of helicopter gunships and MiG fighter jets are protected by concrete bomb shelters.’
- ‘The city was also pounded by fire from helicopter gunships, jet fighters, tanks and machine guns.’
- ‘In the meantime, there were repeated air strikes on the city from US warplanes and helicopter gunships.’
- ‘US forces are again bombing people in Baghdad and strafing them from helicopter gunships.’
- ‘They were supplied with weapons and air support from helicopter gunships and Antonov bombers.’
- ‘Tanks and helicopter gunships exchanged fire with hundreds of armed men in the camp.’
- ‘Government forces used mortars, helicopter gunships and airplanes to bombard rebel positions.’
- ‘The remaining fighters could offer little resistance against helicopter gunships, tanks and overwhelming troop numbers.’
- ‘The warplanes and helicopter gunships were ready, their crews primed to deliver precision strikes.’
- ‘Army helicopter gunships and MiG fighter planes lead the attacks but cannot distinguish between hardened officers and fresh abductees.’
- ‘Under the covering fire of the gunships, troop-carrying helicopters raced into the airstrip.’
- ‘American fighter aircraft and helicopter gunships launched airstrikes against insurgent positions.’
- ‘Helicopter gunships over the city made repeated dives at clusters of fighters, and artillery was brought in for the first time.’
- ‘It stands to reason that the Philippine armed forces contained the rebellion by pounding the rebels with helicopter gunships and bombers.’
- ‘Tight control of jet aircraft and helicopter gunships is necessary to avoid fratricide.’
- ‘The warplane strike and the helicopter gunship have become prime weapons in the US war against the urban guerrillas.’
- ‘A government office that had been taken over by the militiamen and used to store ammunition was strafed by a helicopter gunship and then reduced to rubble by tank fire.’
- ‘He said that helicopter gunships and navy patrol boats had strafed the communities, and that scores of civilians had been killed.’
- ‘Later, coordinated tactics between gunships and other helicopters led to the use of color-coded teams.’
- ‘Helicopter gunships and jet fighters used the opportunity to carry out strafing and bombing runs over suspected Iraqi positions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.