One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An explosive consisting of a powdered mixture of saltpetre, sulphur, and charcoal, now chiefly used for quarry blasting and in fuses and fireworks.
- ‘Charcoal was also essential for the manufacture of gunpowder.’
- ‘In the early days of quarrying, one-foot holes were made and whole kegs of gunpowder used in blasting.’
- ‘That way the hard barrel compresses the relatively soft metal of the bullet as the exploding gunpowder hurls the projectile down the barrel.’
- ‘Early grenades were like cartoon bombs: an iron sphere packed with gunpowder and a fuse sticking out of the top.’
- ‘The group said it will begin tests in May using land mines without gunpowder.’
- ‘Just as castle walls gave way to gunpowder and the cannon, so too will present technology give way to new ideas and new tools of war.’
- ‘It was also used in the past to produce charcoal for gunpowder.’
- ‘Gunpowder is a mixture of saltpetre, charcoal, and sulphur, and early gunpowder was just that: a powder.’
- ‘The shells contain silver iodide, explosives and gunpowder.’
- ‘The cellar was searched and, hidden amid the large quantity of firewood stored there, 36 barrels of gunpowder were found, along with fuses.’
- ‘Prior to its first military uses, gunpowder was termed black powder.’
- ‘Undercover officers rushed in only to find talcum powder and not gunpowder on the agenda.’
- ‘The youngest sailors would also have had a ‘fireman’ role, damping down loose gunpowder to prevent explosions.’
- ‘Propellants such as gunpowder are so-called low explosives that burn but do not normally detonate.’
- ‘There was wax, matches, a long fuse, gunpowder and 20 bullets packed around a quarter stick of dynamite.’
- ‘But the mere possession of a lot of cannon and gunpowder, or air-to-surface missiles, is not enough.’
- ‘He has a musket, bullets, gunpowder, carpentry tools, clothes, bedding and a Bible.’
- ‘This incident was particularly severe because of the huge amount of gunpowder in the firework.’
- ‘As her daughter tripped on a mop and dropped a box of glass dishes, the burnt end of that fuse collided with the gunpowder.’
- ‘Cannons, guns, gunpowder, swords and many other weapons of war were needed and Spain bought them from whoever would sell to them.’
2A fine green China tea of granular appearance.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.