Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A grey corrosion-resistant form of bronze containing zinc.
- ‘The headstud group shows similar traits: a finely detailed type is typically of brass or gunmetal but the simpler variants, usually with the headloop cast in one with the brooch, are of leaded bronze.’
- ‘As for your domicile there are dining furniture sets, made of gunmetal, brought all the way from Hyderabad and priced at Rs.2,200.’
- ‘All the castings - a total of 24 adorn the gates and railings - are made of gunmetal, chosen as it is a hard-wearing and weatherproof material.’
- ‘As he reached for the box to remove it, the chilling feel of gunmetal touched the back of his neck.’
- ‘Earrings made of black metal with American diamonds embedded, chains made of gunmetal, coral and jade and pearl bangles add to the gaiety.’
- ‘Loose copper bullet casings and gunmetal gleamed coldly in the light sparkling like pieces of ice, cold and deadly.’
- ‘There are even tiny sensors that can detect the presence of gunmetal and tanks.’
- ‘The beautiful finish in the idols of Ram, Lakshman, Sita and Hanuman and Lord Siva and Goddess Parvathi made of gunmetal draws the attention of connoisseurs.’
- ‘His body in my arms dragged me down like gunmetal, but I managed to manoeuvre him to the doorway and out into the cleaner air.’
- ‘The feel of cool gunmetal was still a comfort against her hand though.’
- ‘The interior of the plane was a reflection of the outside; black gunmetal gleamed from all corners.’
- ‘Moreover, in the base year, only gunmetal showed a reduction in price as a trend.’
- ‘Now, visually I agree, that gunmetal is not a great look for a comic book movie but I don't think it takes away from the film.’
- ‘It became fashionable to own objects in base metal, so Faberge started to use gunmetal, copper and brass.’
- ‘Chill cast leaded gunmetals are widely used for miscellaneous small bushes of low stressing but they are, of course, considerably less wear resistant than gunmetal and phosphor bronzes.’
- 1.1A dull bluish-grey colour.[as modifier] ‘the river glinted under a gunmetal sky’
- ‘I personally love the metallic bluish gunmetal set off against the black of the keys and the matte silver function buttons.’
- ‘By the time I was out, then, it was just Ja and I on our floor, and the sky was an ominous shade of gunmetal grey.’
- ‘A gunmetal black rectangle object attached to wires and tubes, filled with green, pulsating gas.’
- ‘Slowly the sky turned from gunmetal grey to pale blue - all colour blown out of it - and then, as the sun finally rose above the horizon it was filled with brilliant amber light that caught my eyes in the mirror.’
- ‘Apart from the obvious physical attributes - the Cuillin mountains, empty beaches, wildlife, views of gunmetal seas over bladderwracked rocks - the island does not wear its heart on its sleeve.’
- ‘And, no, omni-present muted gunmetal tones does not count as style.’
- ‘There is a fabulous gold and gunmetal sequinned skirt for just £29.99.’
- ‘Three battered gunmetal grey filing cabinets stood against one badly-plastered wall, and I knew the first two were mostly empty.’
- ‘We walk down the wooded dunes, and there, finally, is the gunmetal Baltic, Kaliningrad's point, symbolically shrouded in an undulating, enigmatic fog.’
- ‘The T2 also drops the original's gunmetal colour scheme in favour of a lighter, more silvery look.’
- ‘The trees cast their skeletal frames against the gunmetal sky and the crows, like a flock of hooded widows, lamented their lot with throaty cries.’
- ‘Boys noisily demand balloons from him, which they then watch fly into the gunmetal Glasgow sky bearing the slogan ‘Say yes to progress’.’
- ‘The existing civic centre, much of which will be retained with this proposal, is basically a fairly pedestrian assemblage of grey concrete brick structures capped by broad gunmetal green fascias with a number of sandstone walls.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.