One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gangster's mistress or girlfriend.
lover, girlfriend, paramour, kept woman, live-in loverView synonyms
- ‘As Walter Matthau once noted, among her roles were ‘five gun molls, two burlesque queens, half a dozen adulteresses, and twice as many murderesses and when she was bad, she was terrific.’’
- ‘Another Stanwyck gun moll, Sugarpuss O'Shea, moves in with some unworldly professors assembling an encyclopedia.’
- ‘Connie Stevens plays gun moll and nightclub singer Anna Berg, who falls for one third rate gangster after another and is key in getting to the truth.’
- ‘Scott also rocks a taut, swinging, audacious ‘Peter Gunn Theme’ that reeks of big suits, gun molls, and tough talk.’
- ‘Toward the end of the decade he began his battles with Jack L. Warner for a shift to dramatic parts, and he married Joan Blondell, an actress who could play a gun moll or femme fatale any day of the week.’
- ‘‘Beats the hell out of me,’ she says in the tough-guy voice she affects sometimes, as if she thinks she's a gun moll in a gangster movie.’
- ‘We smoked in the woods where I embroidered stories about New York gangsters, and how my mother was going to prison for being a gun moll, and how when she got out we were going to California where there was a million dollars hidden in a cave.’
- ‘I mean I carry the machine gun - that is, I did in high school when I played Bonnie in the play and got to be his gun moll and right hand girl.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.