One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Malaria.‘gulf fever claimed the life of the manager of the sheep station’
- ‘He caught 'gulf fever' soon after and died despite desperate efforts to save his life.’
- ‘He fell ill with the Gulf fever while on his way to the base camp on the Gilliat River.’
- ‘At the time of his visit the Gulf fever was at its worst.’
- ‘A local "gulf fever" afflicted those who tried to reside in the area.’
- ‘The only other death on the trip was a man who died of gulf fever.’
- ‘This disaster established the tradition of 'Gulf Fever', the name given to most fevers in this area for the next 30 years.’
- ‘I have heard people speak of Gulf fever as if a white man could not live in tropical regions where such diseases are known to exist.’
- ‘When gulf fever drove him back to Victoria he worked on the land.’
- ‘He looked at Grace with concern. "Looks like gulf fever to me," he said.’
- ‘He was dosing himself regularly with quinine to avert the danger of dengue or Gulf fever.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.