One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Malaria.‘gulf fever claimed the life of the manager of the sheep station’
- ‘He looked at Grace with concern. "Looks like gulf fever to me," he said.’
- ‘He caught 'gulf fever' soon after and died despite desperate efforts to save his life.’
- ‘A local "gulf fever" afflicted those who tried to reside in the area.’
- ‘He fell ill with the Gulf fever while on his way to the base camp on the Gilliat River.’
- ‘I have heard people speak of Gulf fever as if a white man could not live in tropical regions where such diseases are known to exist.’
- ‘When gulf fever drove him back to Victoria he worked on the land.’
- ‘This disaster established the tradition of 'Gulf Fever', the name given to most fevers in this area for the next 30 years.’
- ‘At the time of his visit the Gulf fever was at its worst.’
- ‘He was dosing himself regularly with quinine to avert the danger of dengue or Gulf fever.’
- ‘The only other death on the trip was a man who died of gulf fever.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.