One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A traditional Turkish wooden sailing boat, now often used for holiday cruises.
- ‘Each gulet boasts 6 to 8 wood-panelled cabins with either a double bed or a bunk bed arrangement.’
- ‘He explained that he was also the owner of a Turkish yacht called a gulet that ran four-day excursions along the country's southwest Mediterranean coast.’
- ‘The entire gulet and her crew are only in your service.’
- ‘Like all gulets, Aleyna is absurdly romantic, with her rakish lines and piratical poop deck, blue canvas awnings and gleaming varnish thick as barley sugar.’
- ‘Turkish dive gulets favour family holidays and the Med is a great destination for families with a diving interest.’
- ‘Our gulets follow in the paths of ancient geographers whose accounts you can read as you sail along.’
- ‘Prices are based on 2 adults sharing a cabin on the gulet specified on a full board basis including soft drinks.’
- ‘The Greek equivalent of Turkish gulets are known as caïques, yet in general the term motorsailers is used.’
- ‘Turkish gulets are turning up as dive boats all over the world.’
- ‘Sense the spirit of times gone by - sailing has a new dimension on board our authentic mahogany gulet.’
- ‘We also offer the chance for single persons, couples and small groups to enjoy these cruises, as some gulets are also available for cabin charters.’
- ‘Formerly known as caiques, gulets are beautiful, broad-beamed, hand-built wooden sailing boats, but unfortunately these days the sails are strictly for show.’
- ‘Although the gulets are essentially motor yachts, it is possible to sail certain distances during a Blue Cruise.’
- ‘Over the years gulets have evolved from traditional crafts for fishing and transport into their present profile with a broad beam and wide deck.’
- ‘Probably of more interest are the charming motor-yachts called gulets which jostle for position along the pier, waiting to take tourists to nearby islands, beaches and coves.’
- ‘My wife and I had our wedding anniversary in Istanbul and then we spent some time on a gulet.’
- ‘Multi-activity specialist Neilson has also found that Mediterranean dive holidays aboard Turkish gulets are getting good repeat business from groups.’
- ‘But off Gulvercin Adasi, about 15 minutes by hardboat from Kas, a 55 ft wooden sailing/motorised gulet lies in 25m of water.’
- ‘Interpac represents over 60 hand-picked private yachts and gulets in Turkey ranging from 40 feet to 170 feet.’
- ‘As I slid off the gently rocking gulet, I decided that this was basic recreational diving as near perfect as it would ever be.’
Turkish, via Italian goletta from French goélette.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.