One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fish of shallow warm seas, related to the rays and having a guitar-like body shape.
- ‘The fish made long runs, then sulked, ran again, but five minutes later I saw a swirl of white water in the edge of the surf and went in to grab a beautiful guitarfish of around 10 lb.’
- ‘Groupers and morays are common, lobsters can be seen in season and we encountered a common guitarfish.’
- ‘Another creature to watch for in deep areas is the strange, primitive looking shovelnose ray or giant guitarfish.’
- ‘Mauritania's famous Nouadhibou beach-camp is not the same as it once was, but French anglers in particular still go there to chase after the denizens of its surf - with large rays and guitarfish still the main attraction.’
- ‘The guitarfish has a thick fleshy tail that resembles a shark's tail more than it does a ray's.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.