Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Last year it was estimated that guiders in the country gave up an average of eight hours a week to help our young people, and that one in three women had at some time been part of the organisation.’
- ‘They were then directed by two guiders armed with mobile phones, who were based at the shopping centre trying to solve a selection of cryptic clues.’
- ‘Hundreds of guiders and local people swung into action to raise the £135,000 needed to buy the property and the thousands more needed to renovate it.’
- ‘They all then went on to become guiders - leaders of rainbows, brownies, guides and rangers - and active members of the guild.’
- ‘My anger management guider would be so disappointed in me, ‘Never!’’
An adult leader in the Guide Association.
- ‘I went back to train as a Guider when I was 18 - boys were still interesting, but I missed guiding - and I've not looked back since.’
- ‘Around 400 Rainbows, Brownies, Guides and Guiders will assemble in Trowbridge Park on Sunday February 16 at 2pm for a procession to mark the occasion.’
- ‘More than 2000 Rainbows, Brownies, Guides, Rangers and Guiders from York, Selby and Tadcaster packed into York's Barbican Centre for their Millennium Thinking Day.’
- ‘‘I didn't want to go, so I became a Guider, and now I run Rainbows, Guides and Rangers,’ she said.’
- ‘‘I have enjoyed my years in Guiding and I will miss the children and the other Guiders - there's quite a camaraderie,’ said Enid, who lives at Glusburn.’
- ‘Putting the tents up was a bit of a struggle because we're not experienced campers, but the Guiders came along and showed us how to do it, so we feel as if we've learnt something.’
- ‘She took over running the same Guide Unit in 1963 and received a certificate and badge for 40 years service as a Guider at the Brentford and Chiswick Division Church Parade in June.’
- ‘My Rainbow Guides are completely lovely and their Guiders (me and Marie) aren't bad either’
- ‘‘Remember, we are all former Guiders, so we know a thing or two about arts and crafts,’ says Marjorie.’
- ‘Alex Fairclough, of Badsey Road, who helps run the Brownies in Chipping Campden, needs to raise £2,000 to travel to Uganda in July with seven other Guiders from Gloucestershire.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.