One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rope used to guide the movement of the load of a crane.
- ‘He also invented the tail rope system which Poe describes in this tale, to conserve more gas by lifting or lowering the guide rope accordingly.’
- ‘There was a tense moment when a sharp snapping sound rang through Ready but it was only one of the guide ropes that guided the steel hawser back onto the drum giving way.’
- ‘The Brazilian shouted to those handling the guide rope to pull against the wind, and he landed unhurt.’
- ‘The work platform is attached to the guide ropes by two further ropes which are slidable along the guide ropes by means of releasable hooks.’
- ‘And he told them he changed that for himself and that he forgot to put the guide rope where it belonged when he left.’
- ‘If you look closely at the above image, you should be able to see the guide ropes used to steady the centre section as it is lifted.’
- ‘He clutched the guide rope with both hands, surprised that it didn't snap from the tension.’
- ‘On each cage, there are bolted ‘shoes’ that surround the guide ropes and thus allow the cage to slide up and down the shaft.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.