One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A room in a military base used to accommodate a guard or detain prisoners.
- ‘If he'd mentioned anybody else's name down there in the guardroom, do you think they would have put him up for the death vote?’
- ‘Even the low two-storey army buildings seemed to smile a delayed welcome, as a gate was unbarred and I went through an elaborate signing-in ceremony in the guardroom.’
- ‘In one of the guardrooms at the base a poster showing the World Trade Center asks ‘Are you in a New York state of mind?’’
- ‘Their sovereignty, of course, won't much extend beyond the guardroom at the end of the corridor.’
- ‘The gun, until last year, had sat for over 34 years in front of the guardroom with little or no maintenance.’
- ‘Music started blaring from a loudspeaker outside the guardroom - very loud.’
- ‘The northern tower, originally a guardroom, is still visible.’
- ‘In barracks sentries are usually furnished by the unit's guard, a detachment of soldiers on duty for a 24-hour period, who live in the guardroom or guardhouse.’
- ‘Passages at the back and sides would lead to other areas, such as the kitchens, guardroom, or servants' quarters.’
- ‘After seeing Joe left, Mel came out from the guardroom.’
- ‘You'd better take that to the guardroom, then.’
- ‘They laid down their arms, explained their position to their non-commissioned officer, and presented themselves at the guardroom to be taken into custody.’
- ‘‘The nearest place was the RAF base, so I went over to the main gate and asked the people at the guardroom to help me,’ she said.’
- ‘Having explained this they went back into their guardroom and trusted me to go back out the gates.’
- ‘As she suspected, the guards were posted outdoors, outside the door of the guardroom.’
- ‘A man accompanies him into a guardroom, where an officer is presiding over some registers.’
- ‘The sight that awaited him in the torchlight of the guardroom to their level was not entirely unexpected.’
- ‘He went apoplectic and I suddenly found myself marched off to the guardroom almost at running pace.’
- ‘The entrance was right in front of him and the guardroom was empty.’
- ‘One young sentry who felt that the ghost was near him panicked and ran to the guardroom for protection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.