One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun A substance prepared from the seeds of a Brazilian shrub, used as a tonic or stimulant.
- ‘Some of these products contain ma huang and guarana.’
- ‘The three major world caffeine drinks, coffee, tea and cacao, have become standards in western society, and yet consumption of other products, such as yerba mate and guarana, have remained regionally important.’
- ‘To maximize its effectiveness, it is often added to products that also contain caffeine, as well as guarana or mate.’
- ‘One recent animal study compared the effects of guarana to those of ginseng.’
- ‘About 10 years ago, the family started blending this fruit with banana and a little guarana (a mild natural stimulant).’
- ‘The best known are cocoa, tea, coffee, cola and guarana.’
- ‘Energy-boosting drinks may contain Ma Huang or guarana; both act as a stimulant and may increase heart rate and blood pressure.’
- ‘In addition to caffeine and sugar, each drink has its own particular formula, often a mix of guarana, ginseng, and B-complex vitamins.’
- ‘These products, available in health food stores or on the Internet, contain stimulants such as ephedra, caffeine, and guarana, with variable additions of common herbs or vitamins.’
- ‘There's also a nasty looking chocolate and guarana bar and a free festival guide (that's a guide to festivals which comes free, not ones you don't have to pay to get into).’
- ‘Ephedra alkaloids commonly are combined with caffeine or botanical sources of caffeine (e.g., guarana, yerba mate) for weight loss.’
- ‘Caffeine is often added or ‘stacked’ to ephedrine-based products, as it enhances and prolongs ephedrine's effects; the herb guarana is also a source of caffeine.’
- ‘We lined up for around 45 minutes, and while we were waited, some guy started handing out samples of some guarana herbal extract.’
- ‘These little mints contain ginseng, gingko and guarana for a sweet boost of energy.’
- ‘Coupled with tyrosine, the caffeine in guarana helps promote muscle performance and neurotransmitter regeneration.’
- ‘Some alternatives to look for include yerba mate, guarana, kola nut and green tea extract.’
- ‘When we'd sat down we were offered cream cakes and coke and guarana.’
- ‘The herb guarana is a source of caffeine.’
- ‘Plus, some herbal products billed as energy boosters or fat burners contain caffeine-rich herbs such as guarana or stimulants such as ephedra.’
- ‘Gentle in its actions, guarana can be used to improve mild depression.’
2The shrub that yields guarana.
Paullinia cupana, family Sapindaceae
Mid 19th century: from Tupi.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.