One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound that occurs in guano and fish scales, and is one of the four constituent bases of nucleic acids. A pure derivative, it is paired with cytosine in double-stranded DNA.
- ‘The derivatives of purine are called adenine and guanine, and the derivatives of pyrimidine are called thymine, cytosine and uracil.’
- ‘The four become cytosine, guanine, adenine, and thymine, and the quantum forces that maintained the rest of universe sit on the sidelines while life take center stage.’
- ‘The film's name comes from the initials of the four DNA bases of our genetic code: guanine, adenine, cytosine and thymine.’
- ‘The purines adenine and guanine are constituents of DNA.’
- ‘There are four DNA bases: adenine, cytosine, guanine, and thymine (A, C, G, and T).’
Mid 19th century: from guano + -ine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.