One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pleased, satisfied, and contented.
happy, glad, delighted, gratified, grateful, thankful, content, contented, satisfied, well pleased, thrilled, elated, as pleased as punch, overjoyed, cock-a-hoop, like a dog with two tails, like a child with a new toyView synonyms
- ‘Some of those currently disgruntled may never get gruntled.’
- ‘Sources in the banking industry have leaked the following letter to us, reportedly sent to a bank in the United States by a client who was, in the words of the poet, if not disgruntled, then certainly far from gruntled.’
- ‘It has been a few years since I had them around so I'm deeply gruntled to have them back.’
- ‘And as much as I wanted her to be a disgruntled employee, eager to dish the dirt, she was surprisingly gruntled.’
- ‘He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.’
1930s: back-formation from disgruntled.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.