One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fish that makes a grunting noise, especially when caught.
another term for grunt (sense 4 of the noun)
a mainly marine fish of warm waters (family Theraponidae: several genera).
hog, boar, sow, porker, swine, pigletView synonyms
- ‘Fish species such as galjoen, white steenbras and spotted grunter that feed within the intertidal zone cannot survive where the beach has been denuded.’
- ‘And then there were the dead fish, mostly grunter, leervis and silvies, I believe, caused apparently by a sudden drop in salinity as the whirlpools mixed fresh water with salty.’
- ‘The result was a 3kg grunter for their fry and a fish eagle having to look further afield for its meal.’
- ‘In the sometimes-translucent streams beneath us, we can see bream, catfish and grunters as well as pig-nosed turtles, thought, until recently, only to exist in Papua New Guinea.’
- ‘I have it on good authority that spotted grunters are coming on the bite in all our local estuaries right now.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.