Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small headless screw, used typically to attach a handle or cam to a spindle.
- ‘The thrust pads and grub screws are used to transmit clamping forces by leaning to uneven and unparallel surfaces.’
- ‘Such devices include means to inspect cables and anchorages, locknuts, or grub screws for cross arms, pivots, etc.’
- ‘I used a rounded punch located in the hole that can be seen above the grub screw to tap the collar undone.’
- ‘You might need to sharpen the point on the grub screw as well.’
- ‘I screwed the nut back onto the lead screw and adjusted it to a snug but not too tight fit and also made sure that the grub screws were not protruding from the underside.’
- ‘Although grub screws are made with both Allen and Slotted type head styles, the Allen type is recommended for model car use due to the weakness of the slotted type.’
- ‘A large selection of hex grub screws are available from our wide-ranging stock.’
- ‘A grub screw from the rear drive shaft collar worked its way out, and even though I got a replacement from my local hobby shop, it still hangs loose, so I suspect something is loose inside.’
- ‘On a cross-top tap, beneath the plastic hot and cold discs is the grub screw (a small, headless, larvae-like screw), which holds on the head of the tap.’
- ‘This is preferably done by having the grub screw be brittle, and/or possess a rated breaking point.’
- ‘Fortunately, it's easy to loosen the grub screw and remove the hand wheel - something you'll need to do if you want to use the tailstock ram anyway.’
- ‘Otherwise you may run into a problems with a grub screw backing out.’
- ‘The two grub screws at the bottom of the casing are made of steel, whereas the casing is aluminium.’
- ‘A metal bush is incorporated with grub screw fixing and is suitable for 1/4 in. diameter spindles.’
- ‘Keep adjusting the grub screws from each side until correct then tighten the locking nuts.’
- ‘Furthermore, if a thread for a grub screw is tapped into the metal body, the strength of the thread will be stronger than a similar thread formed in a weaker plastics body of a prior art slider.’
- ‘Similarly, there seems to be no way of adjusting the reel to cope with wear on the spindle end-bearing: on other plain bearing reels a small grub screw on the front of the spool is used to adjust the reel.’
- ‘Thread the supplied nuts onto the ends of the grub screws and tighten - this is to prevent the grub screws working loose.’
- ‘An incident occurred whereby the throttle retaining grub screw worked loose causing the throttle to disengage from its housing.’
- ‘For general use it is fine, but the bottom threads can deform when the grub screw is tightened which can make disassembly difficult.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.