Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A young woman regarded as independent and strong or aggressive.
- ‘Don't let the evil grrrl chorus push you around.’
- ‘He discusses topics such as the figurality of noise, the perversions of the music scene by boyz/bois/boys and the hysterization of it by gurlz/girls / grrrls.’
- ‘It seems perfect for these postmodern queer grrrls.’
- ‘I'm opinionated, outspoken, abstract, a riot grrl, and usually very forward when it comes to dating.’
- ‘Hey grrls, don't you remember being ostracized at one point or another?’
- ‘The aforementioned grrl was a full-time student when we moved in together and I was the money-maker for two years.’
- ‘After working on my book proposal for a little and the garden for longer today, I decided to be a bad grrrl and just play a game.’
- ‘As a liberal grrrl, I would have thought that the last person I'd ever support would be a four-star general who voted for Ronald Reagan.’
- ‘Well, my best friend and I decided that if I was going to have any chance at winning this guy back, I'd need a new wardrobe - so several shopping trips later I am a new grrl.’
- ‘Altogether, a rare treat for the grrrl in your life.’
- ‘Eroticized grrrl power becomes a contest of popularity intensified through the polymorphous visual style of MTV.’
- ‘I haven't read her book with the unambiguous title but, as I understand it, her thesis is that women behaving like frat grrrls does not, in fact, engender empowerment.’
- ‘It gives us a wonderfully economical, almost anthropological view of the grrrls in their natural habitat - the street.’
- ‘It worked best when it just happened to be grrls helping each other; it struggled when it became self-aware and stopped offering a critique of society to become a commentary on what it was doing.’
- ‘Another bonus as a result of this contest for the local rock grrls is a management deal that the ink is drying on.’
- ‘That said, there were a few moments during the broadcast when I was swept up in admiration for the grrls who spoke.’
- ‘One example would be the classic ‘sub-culture,’ a category that would include such groups as metalheads, riot grrls, or rave kids.’
- ‘This fascinating novel, an interesting cross between hard science fiction, riot grrls gone wild and cyberpunk which has yet to pick up a U.S. publisher, deals with a two-strand narrative.’
- ‘Money and a great looking wardrobe doesn't take away the fact that her voice still does not stand out amongst the rock grrls of the music world.’
1990s: blend of grrr, representing the sound of an animal growling (and thus human anger) and girl, originally a variant of girl in riot girl.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.