Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The part of the year during which rainfall and temperature allow plants to grow.‘a short growing season’
- ‘Plant the bulbs about once a month during the growing season for a summer-long supply.’
- ‘Cold temperatures and short growing seasons are the most obvious characteristics of the physical environment in the Arctic.’
- ‘In areas with long growing seasons, plant hardy kiwis anytime, but do avoid the hottest parts of summer, when transplant stress is high.’
- ‘However, most of the regions in China that will accommodate this kind of paddy are either in flood prone areas or are affected by short growing seasons as winter approaches.’
- ‘In areas where growing seasons are short, bloom seasons are also short.’
- ‘Pruning late in the growing season will encourage new growth that will be damaged by frost.’
- ‘To allow the tuber to reset for the next growing season you need to let them die back naturally.’
- ‘Therefore, short, cool growing seasons and cold winters are often thought of as barriers to crop growth and diversification in the Subarctic.’
- ‘This plant actually blooms twice in its growing season, once in early June and again in August.’
- ‘Apply fish emulsion or a special hydrangea fertilizer during the growing season.’
- ‘During the subsequent growing seasons, you might consider using a compost mulch in spring, with fewer or lighter feedings in summer, or no additional fertilizer at all.’
- ‘Most of these plants flower on wood that is produced during the current growing season.’
- ‘Just don't add any plants that may have been diseased during the growing season.’
- ‘To allow the shrub to recover in the following growing season, do this in late autumn to early spring.’
- ‘The use of greenhouses allows the growing season to be extended from February to November.’
- ‘Trees grow quickly in the South because of long growing seasons and abundant rainfall.’
- ‘Use the upper end of the range in warmer climates that have longer growing seasons, and less in cooler climates with shorter growing seasons.’
- ‘Now's the perfect time to plant it to give it a head start on the growing season.’
- ‘The more green wood you have when the growing season begins, the sooner your plant will bloom.’
- ‘You can often get a good deal on plants at this time of year, even on the late bloomers, especially in regions with short growing seasons.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.