One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rank of officer in the RAF, above wing commander and below air commodore.
- ‘Of all the improbable hobbies for a group captain, his was the making of jam.’
- ‘I was travelling back from Singapore with a group captain and his wife when our ship was suddenly turned away from the Suez Canal just as the crisis there erupted.’
- ‘More than 150 Air Force administration officers from pilot officer to group captain attended the inaugural Administration Officers' Conference at RAAF Base Williamtown on August 6-7.’
- ‘He said he learned to stick to his guns from his father, a group captain who flew a Spitfire in the Battle of Britain.’
- ‘Before an Air Force-wide release on People Central, a consolidated list of promotees within the chain of command was forwarded to all affected group captains.’
- ‘A group captain from the RAF visited the Tartar to complain, was bombed by the Germans, and instantly changed his mind about shooting first and asking questions later.’
- ‘Vice marshals became marshals; air commodores were boosted to vice marshals; group captains to air commodores; wing commanders to group captains; squadron leaders to wing commanders; etc., etc.’
- ‘It ruled this increase would not affect officers of wing commander and group captain rank equivalents, noting the Remuneration Reform Project should address the salaries of these members in due course.’
- ‘The group captain said the crew, support personnel and passengers on board the Hercules were playing a vital role, helping to deliver democracy to the Iraqis.’
- ‘This directorate will undertake personnel management of group captains and some administration for air rank officers.’
- ‘He was promoted to group captain in 1992 and, as Director Air Force Policy, negotiated the establishment of the RSAF flying school at RAAF Base Pearce.’
- ‘The airmen promotion lists were released to affected group captains on March 29, and the consolidated lists on People Central occurred on March 31.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.