Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Preliminary or basic work.‘the inquiry's findings are expected to lay the groundwork for a complete overhaul of the system’
preliminary work, preliminaries, preparations, preparatory measures, basic work, spadework, legwork, hard work, donkey work, hack workView synonyms
- ‘With these two books he covers most of the basic groundwork for becoming a photographer.’
- ‘While the bikes have moved much ahead, and even cars have done some groundwork, the buses have not moved at all.’
- ‘If you have a limited budget, you can do some preparatory groundwork yourself to cut costs.’
- ‘Of course there is some groundwork that must be laid out when embarking on this board game journey.’
- ‘Using this groundwork, Laurier wanted to build a strong national image for Canada.’
- ‘Shaped in the form of a boat, the pavilion took seven days to build, while the concept and groundwork took two months.’
- ‘Teachers and administration had been working over the past weeks and groundwork had been done.’
- ‘The groundwork on the new building began on Tuesday and the village hall trust hopes it will be ready by Christmas.’
- ‘The groundwork has now been prepared for the main contractors to start work in May.’
- ‘It appeared students who had done their groundwork over the year were reaping the reward for their efforts.’
- ‘The first step is to do the basic groundwork of self-education on the issues and problems to be combated.’
- ‘But no amount of groundwork could prepare you for the verticality of the cliffs here.’
- ‘They set store by groundwork and say there is no shortcut to success.’
- ‘Very effective groundwork has been laid by the politicians mentioned above.’
- ‘Once that groundwork has been done, the picture tends to become a bit clearer about the budget needed to complete any deal.’
- ‘The official picked a site where there was no groundwork needed to the right of the square.’
- ‘We have achieved a great deal this year and have established firm groundwork for continuing our work next year.’
- ‘With this groundwork in place, China is ready now to adopt a more flexible exchange rate.’
- ‘It just wasn't Montreal's time, but groundwork was being laid for what was to come.’
- ‘The groundwork of the songs rely on basic beats with a few tonal melodies interacting.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.