One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who maintains a sports ground, a park, or the grounds of a school or other institution; a groundsman.
- ‘The proposal also has major implications for ratepayers, since maintaining the wickets will require a full-time groundskeeper.’
- ‘After practice, when all his teammates were showered and heading home, Berry would stay on the field, enlisting coaches, groundskeepers, writers, and even his wife Sally to throw him passes so that he could hone his routes.’
- ‘The groundskeepers dug up and presented the home plate that Boggs knelt down and kissed after circling the bases for his 3000th hit.’
- ‘One of the more interesting expat stories was of a designer of golf courses, whose humble beginnings as a groundskeeper at a course in Sydney has led to him spending more than a decade designing courses through Asia.’
- ‘He works as a convent groundskeeper and shares his family home with three housemates, but even so he is virtually isolated, getting by with a few grunts and gestures.’
- ‘Where to place groundskeepers and refreshment vendors is another factor to take note of.’
- ‘They said no, but, oddly, volunteered that it would be okay for him to work as a groundskeeper at a golf course, or for a government agency.’
- ‘Crisscross patterns are fine, but when the outfield starts to resemble a Spirograph design gone crazy, you start to wonder if the groundskeeper has enough to do.’
- ‘A group of UCLA students plan a student strike tomorrow in support of a one-day strike by UCLA service workers, whose union includes custodians and groundskeepers…’
- ‘And my son started yelling for the groundskeeper to call 911.’
- ‘The groundskeepers at Wimbledon have had decades to practice pulling out the rain tarps and emptying out the parking lots.’
- ‘In addition, more than 500 groundskeepers and other service workers at U of T are currently in a legal strike position.’
- ‘Then there is the time-honored art of mound doctoring by the groundskeeper.’
- ‘The Division employs about 25 local residents as building interpreters and groundskeepers.’
- ‘After getting Alex and the groceries safely inside, I noticed the groundskeeper making his rounds.’
- ‘The cuts will affect custodians, residence and dining hall employees, groundskeepers, administrative assistants, extension agents and others.’
- ‘The groundskeeper has expanded his antimole system, a circle of plastic pop bottles sliced open on the sides and upended on sticks in the ground.’
- ‘The men and women working as groundskeepers on the golf course wore large bamboo hats to protect them from the hot sun.’
- ‘This lawn was one of the most meticulously kept green areas in the whole of the country, with a groundskeeper dedicated solely to keeping the soil proportions at their optimum level.’
- ‘He explained that a bike may be removed if it is locked in an area where the groundskeepers need to mow the lawn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.