One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A waterproof sheet spread on the ground inside a tent.
- ‘Large drops of rain began to fall, and they laid groundsheets and put up their oilskin tents.’
- ‘The groundsheet was spread out below the hedge and the greenery was hit with the pole, the berries falling to the sacking.’
- ‘Once again bears had been at the depot, and the tent, poles, groundsheets, cooking pot, and primus were all missing.’
- ‘He hoisted a heavy, laden pack onto his back, closed up the skiff, and bore a groundsheet and heavy sleeping-bag in his arms.’
- ‘Front line dugouts ranged from small ‘funk-holes’ scooped into the sides of trenches and walled with wood, corrugated iron, or groundsheets, to larger, deeper structures with several rooms and rudimentary furniture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.