One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A play in which a batter is put out by hitting a ground ball to a fielder who throws it to first base before the batter touches that base.‘he proceeded to second base on a groundout’
- ‘A base hit should get the runner to third base, and a groundout usually advances him to second.’
- ‘His mission - bring in a run - was accomplished with a simple groundout to second base.’
- ‘His main pitch was a nasty forkball, and I remember hitting a groundout to second base.’
- ‘In fact, the final two outs of Greene's no-hit performance were a groundout to third base by Larry Walker and a hard smash on the ground back to Greene by Tim Wallach.’
- ‘In the top of the ninth, he doubled and then moved up to third on an infield groundout.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.