Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Bait thrown into the water while fishing (as distinct from hookbait).
- ‘I arrived three hours before dark and immediately fed in eight balls of groundbait before setting up my tackle.’
- ‘For the modest price of a day ticket there is excellent sport available, with possible 20 lb bags of roach and dace falling to stick or pole with maggot over small helpings of groundbait.’
- ‘The local rat population from the nearby landfill site have been lapping up the bonanza of discarded and unused sweetcorn, groundbait and pellets.’
- ‘In addition to worms and groundbait you will need some casters and red maggots when you are there.’
- ‘No groundbait is required because the fish you are after are already there - no need to attract them.’
- ‘Choose a likely clear area of bottom and bait heavily with groundbait and sweetcorn or chopped worms.’
- ‘It is unlikely that such a small amount of groundbait will attract many fish in a large moderately stocked water.’
- ‘He had already prepared breakfast and I could see that he had also prepared mashed bread groundbait and wet bread cubes.’
- ‘I always mix my groundbait at the waterside and always with lake water.’
- ‘The hook is pushed into the groundbait leaving the hookbait of two mini-boilies standing proud.’
- ‘However, please remember not to use groundbait.’
- ‘The main area of groundbait on the bottom, with my hookbait, was being ignored.’
- ‘In fact the tonnage of maggots, casters and groundbait introduced must have been incredible.’
- ‘I've had most of my fish on sweetcorn or home-made boilies over groundbait and particles.’
- ‘At a signal, they all reached down into the buckets and pulled out ready-prepared balls of groundbait.’
- ‘This is usually a mixture of groundbait, broken boilies and seeds and beans.’
- ‘It fell to hair-rigged halibut pellet fished in conjunction with a cage feeder packed with pellets and halibut pellet groundbait.’
- ‘In shallower or less fast flowing water I seldom need to add a stone and just place balls of groundbait in the swim.’
- ‘So to sum up the subject of bait and groundbait, I have to say that you really cannot take too much bait.’
- ‘Offering maggot over pellet and groundbait at 13 metres he had small carp to 3lb.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.