One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bait thrown into the water while fishing (as distinct from hookbait).
- ‘It is unlikely that such a small amount of groundbait will attract many fish in a large moderately stocked water.’
- ‘He had already prepared breakfast and I could see that he had also prepared mashed bread groundbait and wet bread cubes.’
- ‘At a signal, they all reached down into the buckets and pulled out ready-prepared balls of groundbait.’
- ‘For the modest price of a day ticket there is excellent sport available, with possible 20 lb bags of roach and dace falling to stick or pole with maggot over small helpings of groundbait.’
- ‘I've had most of my fish on sweetcorn or home-made boilies over groundbait and particles.’
- ‘It fell to hair-rigged halibut pellet fished in conjunction with a cage feeder packed with pellets and halibut pellet groundbait.’
- ‘The local rat population from the nearby landfill site have been lapping up the bonanza of discarded and unused sweetcorn, groundbait and pellets.’
- ‘So to sum up the subject of bait and groundbait, I have to say that you really cannot take too much bait.’
- ‘The main area of groundbait on the bottom, with my hookbait, was being ignored.’
- ‘I always mix my groundbait at the waterside and always with lake water.’
- ‘Choose a likely clear area of bottom and bait heavily with groundbait and sweetcorn or chopped worms.’
- ‘In shallower or less fast flowing water I seldom need to add a stone and just place balls of groundbait in the swim.’
- ‘However, please remember not to use groundbait.’
- ‘This is usually a mixture of groundbait, broken boilies and seeds and beans.’
- ‘In fact the tonnage of maggots, casters and groundbait introduced must have been incredible.’
- ‘No groundbait is required because the fish you are after are already there - no need to attract them.’
- ‘In addition to worms and groundbait you will need some casters and red maggots when you are there.’
- ‘The hook is pushed into the groundbait leaving the hookbait of two mini-boilies standing proud.’
- ‘I arrived three hours before dark and immediately fed in eight balls of groundbait before setting up my tackle.’
- ‘Offering maggot over pellet and groundbait at 13 metres he had small carp to 3lb.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.