Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The lowest energy state of an atom or other particle.
- ‘The ground state of a hydrogen atom is actually spherically symmetrical.’
- ‘Nuclear isomers are excited states that eventually decay to the ground state, mostly by gamma radiation.’
- ‘When an atom or ion is in its ground state, the electrons spend a lot more time close to the nucleus than they do when the atom is in an excited state.’
- ‘When that electron returns to its ground state, it releases energy as ultraviolet light, which is invisible.’
- ‘If they can be, usually it is because of radiation in the form of gamma rays, emitted by deformed nuclei as they revert to their normal shapes and lowest energy ground states.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.