One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of beetles that live mainly on or near the ground.
a fast-running predatory beetle, typically black in colour (family Carabidae).
('nocturnal ground beetle')another term for darkling beetle
- ‘Many insects, such as ground beetles, hoverflies and ladybirds, can keep pests under control - but not if they've been destroyed by chemical sprays.’
- ‘Another aspect of control is to protect natural mosquito predators such as dragonflies, ants, ground beetles, spiders, water striders, frogs and snails.’
- ‘The ground beetles, or Carabidae, are just one of the largely predacious insect families designed for the job.’
- ‘Partially eaten seeds, loss of germination, or stunted seedlings in the presence of small brown ground beetles indicate a seedcorn beetle problem.’
- ‘Various beetles such as firefly larvae and ground beetles feed on slugs.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.