Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of beetles that live mainly on or near the ground.See also darkling beetle
- ‘Partially eaten seeds, loss of germination, or stunted seedlings in the presence of small brown ground beetles indicate a seedcorn beetle problem.’
- ‘The ground beetles, or Carabidae, are just one of the largely predacious insect families designed for the job.’
- ‘Another aspect of control is to protect natural mosquito predators such as dragonflies, ants, ground beetles, spiders, water striders, frogs and snails.’
- ‘Many insects, such as ground beetles, hoverflies and ladybirds, can keep pests under control - but not if they've been destroyed by chemical sprays.’
- ‘Various beetles such as firefly larvae and ground beetles feed on slugs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.