One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of beetles that live mainly on or near the ground.
('nocturnal ground beetle')another term for darkling beetle
a fast-running predatory beetle, typically black in colour (family Carabidae).
- ‘Many insects, such as ground beetles, hoverflies and ladybirds, can keep pests under control - but not if they've been destroyed by chemical sprays.’
- ‘The ground beetles, or Carabidae, are just one of the largely predacious insect families designed for the job.’
- ‘Partially eaten seeds, loss of germination, or stunted seedlings in the presence of small brown ground beetles indicate a seedcorn beetle problem.’
- ‘Various beetles such as firefly larvae and ground beetles feed on slugs.’
- ‘Another aspect of control is to protect natural mosquito predators such as dragonflies, ants, ground beetles, spiders, water striders, frogs and snails.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.