Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A short theme, usually in the bass, which is constantly repeated as the other parts of the music vary.
- ‘The passacaglia, strictly speaking, pits variations over a ground bass, although most composers from Brahms on shift the bass material around to all the voices, which he does as well.’
- ‘It may dawn on you (if you don't cheat and read the liner notes first) that it's also a passacaglia, a series of variations over a ground bass.’
- ‘The 4th Movement, marked ‘Largo’, is a passacaglia having a series of diverse variations over a ground bass.’
- ‘He produced many fine sets of variations on popular melodies and ground basses as well as stylized dance music (especially pavans and galliards) and such abstract pieces as fantasias and preludes.’
- ‘L' Arpeggiata's way of improvising on these ground basses and repeated harmonic patterns is deliciously entertaining.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.