Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The area between the abdomen and the upper thigh on either side of the body.
- ‘A local anesthetic is injected into your groin to numb the area.’
- ‘A fortnight ago, he had 35 goals before a groin injury sidelined him.’
- ‘One week before the competition while throwing one of my practice partners, I injured my groin.’
- ‘Patients may have pain in the anterior groin, anterior thigh, buttock, greater trochanter, or medial knee.’
- ‘Lift your shoulders off the floor bringing your upper body towards your groin, hold position then release.’
- ‘Ticks most often sting in the areas around the neck, behind the ear lobe and in the groin area.’
- ‘The pain may be in the groin, buttocks, anterior thigh, or over the area of the greater trochanter.’
- ‘Swelling and tenderness was noted in the groin and proximal thigh.’
- ‘In femoral fractures, patients usually complain of pain in the groin, anterior thigh, or knee, as well as painful range of motion of the hip.’
- ‘You're in the shower one morning when you notice a lump where your thigh meets your groin.’
- ‘He is hitting well after missing two months with a strained left groin.’
- ‘The femoral is located in the leg at the groin area.’
- ‘The most common cause of groin pain in athletes is probably adductor strain.’
- ‘It can also give you a fever, low-back pain or pain in your groin (the area where the legs meet your body).’
- ‘We surveyed the advice given to patients on driving after groin hernia surgery.’
- ‘The hernia may look like a bulge or swelling in the groin area.’
- ‘It suggests that the laparoscopic method may be better for hernias that occur on both sides of the groin and for recurrences.’
- 1.1informal The region of the genitals:‘she kicked him in the groin’
crotch, crutch, genitalslapView synonyms
- ‘The defender's right elbow is locked and her hand cannot strike the attacker's groin.’
- ‘He could hear her breath quicken, her moans deepen, as her hands fought to find access to his groin where she could turn the tables on him.’
- ‘For good measure, I added a kick to the groin and he doubled over on the kitchen floor, shouting curses at me.’
- ‘Having captured a leg, and thus controlled the opponent's movement, a toe kick to the groin, inner thigh or lower abdomen could be easily applied.’
- ‘The heavy man clutched his groin in pain and fell to his knees on the ground.’
- ‘Now he dropped the sword and she brought her knee up into the man's groin.’
- ‘He crumbled to the floor, clutching his groin in agony.’
- ‘Eventually, but without warning, she pulled away, her lips leaving his again, her hand drifting from his groin.’
- ‘She kneed him in the groin and ran for the front door.’
- ‘I saw him dart after a guy that kicked him in the groin near those buildings over there.’
- ‘Kicking targets are many - the groin, lower abdomen, or solar plexus.’
A curved edge formed by two intersecting vaults.
- ‘It is characterized by heavy, load-bearing masonry, the round-headed arch and its derivatives, the groin, and barrel vaulting.’
- ‘Gilt threads glittered in the weave of pennants and tapestries and high overhead a gold-trimmed groin vault shouldered off the arches of a marble ceiling.’
- ‘The light didn't quite reach the high ceiling where carved figures lurked in the shadows of a graceful groin vault.’
- ‘On an impulse that she hardly understood, she crouched in a shadowed groin of the red-tiled roof, and peeked down into the forbidden area.’
- ‘The corridor opened into a T-junction in a groin vault serving as a landing for a broad, dimly-lit staircase.’
Late Middle English grynde, perhaps from Old English grynde ‘depression, abyss’.
- US spelling of groyne
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.