Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The area between the abdomen and the upper thigh on either side of the body.
- ‘The pain may be in the groin, buttocks, anterior thigh, or over the area of the greater trochanter.’
- ‘Patients may have pain in the anterior groin, anterior thigh, buttock, greater trochanter, or medial knee.’
- ‘A fortnight ago, he had 35 goals before a groin injury sidelined him.’
- ‘The most common cause of groin pain in athletes is probably adductor strain.’
- ‘The femoral is located in the leg at the groin area.’
- ‘In femoral fractures, patients usually complain of pain in the groin, anterior thigh, or knee, as well as painful range of motion of the hip.’
- ‘It can also give you a fever, low-back pain or pain in your groin (the area where the legs meet your body).’
- ‘Swelling and tenderness was noted in the groin and proximal thigh.’
- ‘It suggests that the laparoscopic method may be better for hernias that occur on both sides of the groin and for recurrences.’
- ‘The hernia may look like a bulge or swelling in the groin area.’
- ‘You're in the shower one morning when you notice a lump where your thigh meets your groin.’
- ‘Lift your shoulders off the floor bringing your upper body towards your groin, hold position then release.’
- ‘A local anesthetic is injected into your groin to numb the area.’
- ‘One week before the competition while throwing one of my practice partners, I injured my groin.’
- ‘He is hitting well after missing two months with a strained left groin.’
- ‘We surveyed the advice given to patients on driving after groin hernia surgery.’
- ‘Ticks most often sting in the areas around the neck, behind the ear lobe and in the groin area.’
- 1.1informal The region of the genitals.‘she kicked him in the groin’
- ‘Now he dropped the sword and she brought her knee up into the man's groin.’
- ‘He could hear her breath quicken, her moans deepen, as her hands fought to find access to his groin where she could turn the tables on him.’
- ‘Having captured a leg, and thus controlled the opponent's movement, a toe kick to the groin, inner thigh or lower abdomen could be easily applied.’
- ‘Eventually, but without warning, she pulled away, her lips leaving his again, her hand drifting from his groin.’
- ‘For good measure, I added a kick to the groin and he doubled over on the kitchen floor, shouting curses at me.’
- ‘Kicking targets are many - the groin, lower abdomen, or solar plexus.’
- ‘He crumbled to the floor, clutching his groin in agony.’
- ‘She kneed him in the groin and ran for the front door.’
- ‘The heavy man clutched his groin in pain and fell to his knees on the ground.’
- ‘I saw him dart after a guy that kicked him in the groin near those buildings over there.’
- ‘The defender's right elbow is locked and her hand cannot strike the attacker's groin.’
A curved edge formed by two intersecting vaults.
- ‘The light didn't quite reach the high ceiling where carved figures lurked in the shadows of a graceful groin vault.’
- ‘On an impulse that she hardly understood, she crouched in a shadowed groin of the red-tiled roof, and peeked down into the forbidden area.’
- ‘Gilt threads glittered in the weave of pennants and tapestries and high overhead a gold-trimmed groin vault shouldered off the arches of a marble ceiling.’
- ‘The corridor opened into a T-junction in a groin vault serving as a landing for a broad, dimly-lit staircase.’
- ‘It is characterized by heavy, load-bearing masonry, the round-headed arch and its derivatives, the groin, and barrel vaulting.’
Late Middle English grynde, perhaps from Old English grynde ‘depression, abyss’.
- US spelling of groyne
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.