One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A holidaymaker, especially one visiting a resort in Devon or Cornwall.
tourist, traveller, holidaymaker, day tripper, tripper, sightseer, globetrotter, jet-setter, backpacker, voyager, tourer, explorer, pilgrimView synonyms
- ‘Ah well, the grockles will be here again soon, bringing foreign and cosmopolitan ways with them.’
- ‘These grockles are the least professional of holiday-makers.’
- ‘The grockles have descended upon Somerset with a vengeance today, in readiness for the four-day holiday weekend.’
- ‘Everything's damp and miserable out there, not least the grockles [holiday makers].’
- ‘There was a time when you'd go out on a Saturday morning shortly before Easter to do a bit of shopping in town and discover that, all of a sudden, the grockles had arrived and the new holiday season with them.’
An invented word, originally a fantastic creature in a children's comic, adopted arbitrarily and popularized by the film The System (1964).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.