Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A grocer's shop or business.
- ‘I did a little leg work at a couple neighborhood groceries today.’
- ‘Within a year, she had contracts with two major grocery chains in Chicago.’
- ‘If he went out somewhere, like the barber shop or the grocery store, I always went with him.’
- ‘Spammers couldn't trust each other with five bucks to walk down to the corner grocery and bring back a loaf of bread.’
- ‘You may have seen it in your grocery shops, particularly in the Asian grocery shops.’
- ‘However, the budget grocery chain is unlikely to impress with its first-half figures.’
- ‘It started in the grocery business because shops were charging too much for food.’
- ‘The walls of the recreation center and the corner grocery store are covered with graffiti.’
- ‘Before this he had worked at the family business - a grocery shop on Girlington Road.’
- ‘Mary was very well respected in her community where she had a small grocery shop until a few years ago.’
- ‘The brothers came to Manchester from Bangladesh in 1971 to run a family grocery business.’
- ‘After the marriage they moved to Vienna where they set up a grocery business which fared rather well.’
- ‘People who shop at the discount grocery chains that charge a nickel per bag seem to use fewer bags.’
- ‘A popular member of the business community, he ran a grocery shop in the town for many years.’
- ‘I jumped on the low carb bandwagon and opened a low carb retail grocery store.’
- ‘He was caught by the police soon after he came back to Shanghai to open a grocery shop.’
- ‘In Canadian retail grocery stores, more space is devoted to fresh produce than to any other food sector.’
- ‘Small retail grocery stores offer cooking classes and seminars.’
- ‘She was supposed to go to the grocery store that day to get items to fix for the meal that night.’
- ‘When purchasing jarred condiments, explore grocery shelves for variations on a theme.’
- 1.1Items of food sold in a grocery or supermarket.
- ‘There's a little store selling basic groceries, with a meat and deli counter at the back.’
- ‘The farm wife is often a working commuter who buys her meat and groceries at the supermarket.’
- ‘I dumped some groceries on my kitchen counter and started to unload them.’
- ‘People sat around and discussed problems with their children and where to find cheap groceries.’
- ‘He bought the cheapest groceries and he thought it didn't matter.’
- ‘The kitchen included everything and there were two bags of groceries on the counter.’
- ‘So hoping to not attract attention, I don my largest backpack to carry my groceries home.’
- ‘Rob had all the ingredients, thanks to our weekly grocery shopping we did together.’
- ‘After filling an entire grocery cart, I sent Penny back for a second.’
- ‘Grocery shopping is thus the perfect, guilt-free excuse for visiting the mall.’
- ‘Although the railway paid well compared to other sectors such as farming, many could only afford basic groceries.’
- ‘When I'd finished that and was carrying the groceries home, it began to rain!’
- ‘People usually went their once a week to get their weekly groceries.’
- ‘I'm really unclear how other customers carry their groceries home.’
- ‘He opened a general store in Union St, selling groceries and supplies to the gold diggers.’
- ‘Jo starts cooking, gets the fire going, and goes out to buy a few groceries.’
- ‘She put her two grocery bags on the table and went into the living room.’
- ‘Whether it be less partying, less shopping or cheaper groceries, trade-offs are needed to survive as a couple.’
- ‘Back in 1892 you could get your groceries delivered, in a horse-drawn vehicle.’
- ‘Neither of them would blink an eye at my check stubs or grocery lists.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.