An antibiotic used against fungal infections of the hair and skin.
- ‘Among the systemic antifungal agents available, griseofulvin, terbinafine and itraconazole are effective.’
- ‘The professor said that the antifungal drug, griseofulvin, has been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer cells in his laboratory.’
- ‘The most commonly used drug is called griseofulvin, and you usually have to take it for up to 10 weeks.’
- ‘The only licensed treatment is oral griseofulvin.’
- ‘While oral griseofulvin was sometimes used, it was irregularly absorbed, and prolonged therapy of up to 24 months was sometimes required.’
1930s: from the modern Latin binomial, from medieval Latin griseus ‘greyish’ + Latin fulvus ‘reddish yellow’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.