One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘‘The Year of Monkey is considered a year of difficulties and worry by elderly, superstitious folks because the monkey is a grimacer,’ said Hoang An, a 46 year-old Hanoi businessman.’
- ‘Among the grimacers, one woman from Iowa noticed that I was looking at her and flushed red in the face.’
- ‘Both grimacers are converts to the latest twist in isometric exercises, which have been used increasingly in the past decade as a means of strengthening muscles by making them push, pull and strain.’
- ‘No, we refer to the wholesale ransacking of the UK's cultural heritage, offenses that go beyond such mortal sins against English literature as are committed whenever earnest grimacer Ethan Hawke is cast as Pip Pirrip or the Prince of Denmark.’
- ‘In fact, I have since had people visibly grimace when I tell them where I earned my degree (not that some of these grimacers have attained anything like a Ph.D. or published anything at all, but that's another story for another time).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.