Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Ornamental work in metal with interlacing strips forming a lattice.‘round deep windows covered with iron grillwork’
grid, latticework, fretwork, open framework, openwork, trellis, trelliswork, network, mesh, web, webbing, netting, net, tracery, interlacing, reticulation, reticulum, grate, grating, grille, criss-cross, matrixView synonyms
- ‘Mr Guy was allowed into the building on the weekend before the demolition for a last look and to take some of the remaining lighting equipment and the art deco grillwork.’
- ‘The Parisian theme continues into the casino area, where 90 table games are situated beneath attractive verdigris grillwork.’
- ‘Throughout the nation, structures built of concrete bricks, corrugated iron roofs, and iron grillwork have replaced other forms of housing.’
- ‘Behind the thick cast-iron grillwork you'll find an ordinary metal mailbox.’
- ‘Many houses have grillwork over the windows and balconies on the upper floors.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.