One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A map reference indicating a location in terms of a series of vertical and horizontal grid lines identified by numbers or letters.‘on the Ordnance Survey map, grid reference SP 508069’
- ‘The operator can punch an OS grid reference straight into his/her computer terminal and pinpoint your location.’
- ‘Surveyors are asked to report any sightings of the ladybird, along with its location and, if possible, a grid reference or postcode.’
- ‘Greenpeace campaigners recently destroyed trial fields and the government has issued only a six-figure grid reference to identify the fields in which the trials were taking place.’
- ‘The mother's address on the child's birth certificate was postcoded and given a geographical grid reference.’
- ‘A grid reference is given to every postcode and when police issue an alert it will be possible to pinpoint the distribution area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.