One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The female of the black grouse.
- ‘All being well, after the curious courtship, the greyhens will start laying their eggs from the middle of next month.’
- ‘For the coming year we are planning to release a new group of greyhens with chicks in July which we hope will improve their survival rate.’
- ‘To human eyes, she looks like a greyhen, which is a kind of arctic bird.’
- ‘The greyhen goes to a distance to make her nest, in order to conceal her eggs from the blackcock.’
- ‘Black grouse, which are about the size of a hen, lek year round, but it is during springtime that the activity intensifies and the greyhens congregate to seek a mate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.