Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The female of the black grouse.
- ‘Black grouse, which are about the size of a hen, lek year round, but it is during springtime that the activity intensifies and the greyhens congregate to seek a mate.’
- ‘For the coming year we are planning to release a new group of greyhens with chicks in July which we hope will improve their survival rate.’
- ‘All being well, after the curious courtship, the greyhens will start laying their eggs from the middle of next month.’
- ‘To human eyes, she looks like a greyhen, which is a kind of arctic bird.’
- ‘The greyhen goes to a distance to make her nest, in order to conceal her eggs from the blackcock.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.