Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mottled grey baleen whale that typically has heavy encrustations of barnacles on the skin, commonly seen in coastal waters of the NE Pacific.
- ‘Along with humpback whales, gray whales make the longest migration of any marine mammal.’
- ‘Every few years, gray whales and blue whales wash ashore on the California coast.’
- ‘We experienced some difficulty identifying whale species during the count, especially differentiating between bowhead and gray whales.’
- ‘Female gray whales reach lengths up to 45 feet and weigh as much as 70,000 lb. Males are slightly smaller.’
- ‘On these tours you can see dolphins, sperm whales, grey whales, and more depending on the time of year.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.