Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An American tree squirrel with mainly grey fur.
- ‘A hungry gray squirrel will also raid a bird's nest for eggs, steal food from bird feeders and dig up plants.’
- ‘The grey squirrel is larger than the red, usually about 10 inches long with a large bushy tail 8 inches long.’
- ‘Under natural conditions, grey squirrels are most abundant in hardwood or mixed hardwood and pine forests.’
- ‘The best time of year for trapping grey squirrels is between March and September, when their natural food is scarce.’
- ‘Animals co-habiting in the woods include field mice, grey squirrels, hedgehogs and three roe deer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.