Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A parrot of western equatorial Africa, with grey plumage and a red tail, often kept as a pet for its mimicking abilities.
- ‘This amazing African grey parrot has a vocabulary that's greater than 950 words and actually invents words and phrases.’
- ‘In the last few years, though, the MIT professor Irene Pepperberg has been conducting some rather amazing experiments with her pet grey parrots.’
- ‘Vancouverite Michelle Blaney takes in unwanted parrots, currently caring for four macaws, an African grey parrot and a cockatiel.’
- ‘Twenty five years of research has shown that grey parrots have cognitive intelligence equal to a 6.5 year old child and communication skills equal to a 2 + year old child.’
- ‘African grey parrots have the reputation as being the best talkers of the parrot kingdom.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.