One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Franciscan friar.
- ‘The Grey Friars, of the order of St Frances of Assisi, first came to the town in 1233.’
- ‘The followers of St. Francis of Assisi, the Grey Friars, were noted for preaching among the poor, simplicity of life and gentleness of spirit.’
- ‘In the Middle Ages, several male religious orders whose mission was to care for the sick were formed, including the Knights Hospitalers, the Gray Friars, and the Alexian Brothers.’
- ‘It would perhaps be difficult to overrate the influence of the Grey Friars, particularly in the fourteenth century.’
- ‘They wore a gray tunic with a white cord at the waist; hence, their English name Grey Friars.’
Middle English: so named because of the colour of the order's habit.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.