One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for éminence grise
- ‘The grey eminence behind the Restoration was nevertheless a civilian politician, Antonio Cánovas del Castillo.’
- ‘It was a clear sign that even though he himself will not serve in this government, he remains the grey eminence behind it - perhaps even the puppet-master.’
- ‘So it's entirely plausible that Martin was isolated out of the real, real loop by the grey eminences close to the prime minister.’
- ‘Men like Rove are the gurus, gray eminences, cardinals and kingmakers to the modern-day queens, and wield tremendous power and influence behind the scenes.’
- ‘Over the past few days, I have conducted several interviews with some of the nation's grey eminences in politics, law and history.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.