One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dressing or garnish made with chopped parsley, garlic, and grated lemon zest, served as an accompaniment to meat or fish.
- ‘From the fish and meat entrees on the menu, pan-roasted fillet of halibut with basil mashed potatoes, wilted spinach and a crumb topping with gremolata...was lightly cooked and satisfying.’
- ‘I would have liked a little more than the fleeting appearance of tasty, tangy gremolata that was confined to just one mouthful-sized area on my meat, too.’
- ‘Though Gorgonzola can quickly overwhelm the tastebuds, the gremolata - a garnish made of parsley, lemon peel and garlic - makes for a bright contrast in flavours.’
- ‘Simple finger foods include the indulgent Parmigiano-and truffle-dusted French fries with lemon gremolata; crispy salt and pepper calamari; and tempura asparagus sprinkled with curried coarse salt.’
- ‘All the risottos were good enough, particularly the tutto mare (shrimp, scallops, crab) and the Milanese, made with saffron, parmesan, and a hunk of braised veal rib smothered in a lemony gremolata paste.’
- ‘Gremolata is a very simple thing to make, but a great condiment to stews and heavy meat dishes.’
- ‘Another hit was a trio of juicy grilled lamb chops, each with a different accompaniment: preserved lemon-caper gremolata sprinkled over one, a miso-roasted eggplant log with another and a smooth, creamy eggplant spread with the third.’
- ‘A small haystack of gremolata (minced lemon zest, garlic and parsley) crowned the hearty dish.’
- ‘The only thing it lacked was gremolata, the customary dusting of parsley, lemon zest and garlic.’
- ‘I went for the main course of harissa lamb shank with gremolata because I adore that seductive Italian last-minute seasoning of flat parsley, lemon zest and garlic, but it seemed to have vanished.’
- ‘Combine the gremolata ingredients and sprinkle over the stew just before serving.’
- ‘Our two very special stews - a peppery Italian beef stew and a savory Moroccan lamb tagine - stand on their own, but they're true stars when embellished with fresh gremolata or homemade harissa.’
- ‘So there will also be classics like osso bucco with gremolata and old favourites to which Singh has added some subtle, but interesting flavours.’
- ‘My seared-scallop-and-cauliflower combination seemed a little wan by comparison, although all the hipsters at our table enjoyed the monkfish, which was smothered with sections of artichoke, in a thick, lemony gremolata.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.