One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The mean solar time at the Greenwich meridian, adopted as the standard time in a zone that includes the British Isles.
- ‘Universal Time, UTC (which is effectively the same as Greenwich Mean Time, GMT) may be read from the atomic clock at the US Naval Observatory.’
- ‘Mean Solar Time at the Greenwich Meridian is called GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) or UT.’
- ‘The current time is 06: 47 PM Greenwich Mean Time.’
- ‘For a while, local time and London time co-existed uneasily side by side: then in 1880, an Act of Parliament made Greenwich Mean Time the legal time for the whole of Britain.’
- ‘Blast-off is scheduled for 11: 36 pm Pacific Standard Time on Wednesday, February 25th, 7: 36 Greenwich Mean Time, Thursday, February 26.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.