One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The mean solar time at the Greenwich meridian, adopted as the standard time in a zone that includes the British Isles.
- ‘For a while, local time and London time co-existed uneasily side by side: then in 1880, an Act of Parliament made Greenwich Mean Time the legal time for the whole of Britain.’
- ‘Blast-off is scheduled for 11: 36 pm Pacific Standard Time on Wednesday, February 25th, 7: 36 Greenwich Mean Time, Thursday, February 26.’
- ‘Mean Solar Time at the Greenwich Meridian is called GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) or UT.’
- ‘The current time is 06: 47 PM Greenwich Mean Time.’
- ‘Universal Time, UTC (which is effectively the same as Greenwich Mean Time, GMT) may be read from the atomic clock at the US Naval Observatory.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.