One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Grass-covered ground.‘city workers lolling on the greensward’count noun ‘turning flat greenswards into wildlife gardens’
lawn, common, grassy area, sward, grassView synonyms
- ‘A lovely vale of greensward called Princes Street Gardens separates the two towns, and several bridges span the shallow valley.’
- ‘Whether your backyard is a postage stamp balcony in a city high-rise or a rolling spread of suburban greensward, you can enjoy the fun, fashion and creativity of a container flower garden.’
- ‘While some may chose to spend that season lazing beside rivers and quaffing champagne, the more discerning amongst us elect for the greensward and the thrill of clattering wickets.’
- ‘Down below, the hotel grounds feature a pair of tennis courts and some of the loveliest greenswards and gardens in the country.’
- ‘Each of Ponce de Leon's parks is distinct in its landscaping; the parks range from relatively open greenswards to nearly impenetrable woods.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.