One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Grass-covered ground.‘city workers lolling on the greensward’count noun ‘turning flat greenswards into wildlife gardens’
lawn, common, grassy area, sward, grassView synonyms
- ‘Whether your backyard is a postage stamp balcony in a city high-rise or a rolling spread of suburban greensward, you can enjoy the fun, fashion and creativity of a container flower garden.’
- ‘A lovely vale of greensward called Princes Street Gardens separates the two towns, and several bridges span the shallow valley.’
- ‘Each of Ponce de Leon's parks is distinct in its landscaping; the parks range from relatively open greenswards to nearly impenetrable woods.’
- ‘While some may chose to spend that season lazing beside rivers and quaffing champagne, the more discerning amongst us elect for the greensward and the thrill of clattering wickets.’
- ‘Down below, the hotel grounds feature a pair of tennis courts and some of the loveliest greenswards and gardens in the country.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.