One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The only remedy for this greensickness in youth is abundant physical exercise, - action, work, and bodily occupation of any sort.’
- ‘Gerard recommended watercress as a remedy for that now forgotten disease, ‘greensickness of maidens’.’
- ‘The spas, also, were claimed to cure ‘dropsy, jaundice, scurvy, greensickness and other distempers not to be mentioned’.’
- ‘In ‘Old Mortality,’ it is Sophia Jane, the grandmother, who suffers from greensickness as a girl.’
- ‘Irregularity of menstruation and certain other uterine troubles, the peculiar condition called greensickness or chlorosis, and general debility may lead to some skin lesions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.