One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Irregularity of menstruation and certain other uterine troubles, the peculiar condition called greensickness or chlorosis, and general debility may lead to some skin lesions.’
- ‘Gerard recommended watercress as a remedy for that now forgotten disease, ‘greensickness of maidens’.’
- ‘In ‘Old Mortality,’ it is Sophia Jane, the grandmother, who suffers from greensickness as a girl.’
- ‘The spas, also, were claimed to cure ‘dropsy, jaundice, scurvy, greensickness and other distempers not to be mentioned’.’
- ‘The only remedy for this greensickness in youth is abundant physical exercise, - action, work, and bodily occupation of any sort.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.