One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In ‘Old Mortality,’ it is Sophia Jane, the grandmother, who suffers from greensickness as a girl.’
- ‘Gerard recommended watercress as a remedy for that now forgotten disease, ‘greensickness of maidens’.’
- ‘Irregularity of menstruation and certain other uterine troubles, the peculiar condition called greensickness or chlorosis, and general debility may lead to some skin lesions.’
- ‘The only remedy for this greensickness in youth is abundant physical exercise, - action, work, and bodily occupation of any sort.’
- ‘The spas, also, were claimed to cure ‘dropsy, jaundice, scurvy, greensickness and other distempers not to be mentioned’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.