One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The trapping of the sun's warmth in a planet's lower atmosphere, due to the greater transparency of the atmosphere to visible radiation from the sun than to infrared radiation emitted from the planet's surface.
- ‘Scientists predict that this increase may enhance the greenhouse effect making the planet warmer.’
- ‘The first person to predict the greenhouse effect was a Swedish chemist named Svante Arrhenius.’
- ‘The problem is that we are increasing the greenhouse effect, and this is likely to change the earth's climate.’
- ‘The greenhouse effect is important to life on Earth, without it the Earth would be far too cold for us.’
- ‘A stronger greenhouse effect will probably warm the oceans and partially melt glaciers and other ice, increasing sea levels.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.