One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1US A biting horsefly with green eyes.
Genus Chrysops, family Tabanidae
- ‘The greenhead fly has made golfer's lives a misery at the Seaview Marriott Resort in New Jersey all week.’
- ‘‘What's with these flies with the green heads?’ asked a youngish woman in a bathing suit while flailing at greenheads with both hands.’
- ‘He guessed deerflies and greenheads would appear earlier than normal, unless the weather changes.’
- ‘In the early 1960s public demand for relief from the nuisance of greenhead flies resulted in the organization of the North Shore Greenhead Fly Control Project.’
- ‘If there are more greenheads and deer flies this year, Donahue said there aren't any obvious reasons why.’
2Australian An ant with a green head and a painful sting.
Rhytidoponera metallica, family Formicidae
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.