One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Eurasian finch with green and yellow plumage.
Genus Carduelis, family Fringillidae: three species, in particular the common C. chloris of Europe and the Middle East
- ‘Outside the breeding season you will always find greenfinches in small flocks.’
- ‘Birds will be roosting in your Leylandii hedge - especially greenfinches which prefer to roost in conifer.’
- ‘The numbers of greenfinches have increased over the years, but so have the primroses!’
- ‘In the mid 1960s deaths from salmonellosis were reported in greenfinches and house sparrows feeding at bird tables in gardens.’
- ‘Two or more greenfinches will fly some distance to the garden shrub Daphne mezereum L., usually in June, to devour every one of its hundreds of large seeds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.