One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Eurasian finch with green and yellow plumage.
Genus Carduelis, family Fringillidae: three species, in particular the common C. chloris of Europe and the Middle East
- ‘Outside the breeding season you will always find greenfinches in small flocks.’
- ‘Two or more greenfinches will fly some distance to the garden shrub Daphne mezereum L., usually in June, to devour every one of its hundreds of large seeds.’
- ‘The numbers of greenfinches have increased over the years, but so have the primroses!’
- ‘In the mid 1960s deaths from salmonellosis were reported in greenfinches and house sparrows feeding at bird tables in gardens.’
- ‘Birds will be roosting in your Leylandii hedge - especially greenfinches which prefer to roost in conifer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.