One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Signs of growth or renewal, especially of economic recovery.
- ‘In terms of the U. S., I think we see or are seeing, to use maybe an overused phrase, green shoots.’
- ‘Last night, thankfully, there were a few green shoots of recovery visible.’
- ‘The question is not whether the green shoots of the economy are real.’
- ‘My approach is to focus on the more knowable things about a putative investment rather than speculate over green shoots.’
- ‘We've got the glimmers of hope, the green shoots.’
- ‘Yes, there are some green shoots in the stock market.’
- ‘One glance at the fall world output, trade, and stock prices puts the recent "green shoots" in perspective.’
- ‘Ben Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman, sees "green shoots."’
- ‘Despite a rough couple of weeks for Republicans, GOP strategists see their own political green shoots of recovery on the economy.’
- ‘World industrial production continues to track closely the 1930 s fall, with no clear signs of green shoots.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.