One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strike by construction workers opposed to a development project within a green belt, especially as imposed by a trade union.‘the unions have placed a green ban on the project’
- ‘From shearers to miners to the green bans in Sydney, workers have had an impact on the government of the day.’
- ‘The rise of resident action groups and the green ban movement showed the need for new plans incorporating environmental and participatory provisions.’
- ‘I suppose it is protected by some sort of heritage order or green ban.’
- ‘We put an interim green ban on the construction of these apartments in order to encourage the university to negotiate.’
- ‘The trade unions have enforced green bans on environmentally destructive developments.’
- ‘He was the principal leader of the green bans movement in Sydney.’
- ‘In the late 1960s, the federation placed green bans on several inner-city Sydney neighbourhoods.’
- ‘I have never understood why the idea of a bunch of union thugs standing in the way of urban development is called a green ban.’
- ‘Imagine if Sydney hadn't had the green bans of the 1970s.’
- ‘The union has put a green ban on new gas-fired generators in Victoria.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.